At the rather lovely Radio at the Edge. Clive Dickens talking about how in the change over (“cross fade” ho!) from Virgin radio to Absolute they’ve deployed a pretty impressive number of ways of empowering listeners along along the way. I’ve rather rashly turned this into a list so i can steal be inspired by them later.
- Allow 1-2 listeners per week (who have registered at your site) to attend playlist meetings.
- Publish your playlists and openly compare to the playlists of other stations.
- Spotting virgins. Ask your users to change the metadata of 40K images on your site as you “cross-fade” from Virgin to Absolute.
- When you say you have a “no repeat guarantee”, then publish the data that tries to prove it.
- Start your new radio station with a slogan and records proposed and shared by listeners.
- Open Mic; Allow users to tell you you what they like/don’t like about Absolute and publish on your site. But also do it face to face.
- Host a social network for your listeners and give them special privileges.
- Run a corporate blog that allows Clive and others to talk about the decisions they make and admit mistakes.
- Share everything. Ad schedules, Rajars. Research. What you’re thinking.